How much do you know about your ears and hearing health? Take the quiz to find out!
1. The unit used to describe the volume of sound is the _________.
2. When listened to for 8 hours or more, sound at this level can damage your hearing.
3. The frequency, or pitch, of a sound is described using this unit of measurement.
4. True or False: Hearing aids can help preserve your ability to process sound.
5. Everyone should have a baseline hearing assessment before what age?
6. This is the experience of hearing a sound in your ears, often described as a ringing or buzzing, that is not produced in your environment.
7. True or false: A hearing loss can be described as a percentage (i.e. “you have lost 50% of your hearing”).
8. Untreated hearing loss in older adults has been linked to depression, social isolation, and ___________.
Answers: 1. Decibel or dB 2. 85 dB 3. Hertz or Hz 4. True – properly fit hearing aids can keep your brain stimulated in the areas that control sound processing 5. 40 6. Tinnitus 7. False – hearing loss should be described in terms of severity (i.e. mild, moderate, severe) 8. Dementia