The most common warning signs of hearing loss include:
- speaking louder than necessary in a conversation;
- constantly asking for words to be repeated;
- straining to hear;
- misunderstanding conversations;
- favouring one ear;
- thinking that people always mumble;
- turning the television or radio up louder than usual;
- having difficulty hearing on the telephone;
- withdrawing from social contact;
- ringing or buzzing in the ears (tinnitus);
- appearing dull and disinterested; and
- being slow to respond.
Adapted from the CASLPA website.